Friday, July 08, 2005

Thursday (notebooks, pencils, and candy)

Well, we are now 0-2 in the USA v. Mexico series after a 4 to 1 loss. No excuses, they are that much better. It didn’t help that Maty’s family was sitting behind our goal chanting “Mexico”.

Today was school supply and candy day. We passed out a notebook, two pencils, and a sharpener to 150 kids in Fatima. We also passed out lots of candy and about 100 Beanie Babies that Meghan brought with her. The looks on the faces of both children and parents are worth the price of the trip. Several of the children used the first page of the notebook to write us thank you notes. Let me share a couple with you.

Hello I’m Aylin and thank you for the notebook and pencil. I like cats and dogs. I am Aylin and I want to say goodbye.

Hello, I am Elizabeth and I think you are
good people in giving us trust without knowing us. I thing the support you give is fantastic. Every year you come and give us many things like toys and notebooks and many other things. Thank you.

Another highlight of the trip is the way Maty’s family have taken care of us the past few days. The food they fixed for us today was so good it should be illegal. As a matter of fact, it may have been a conspiracy to fill us up so well that we couldn’t compete in the soccer game. At least I’m going to tell myself that in order to feel better.
Cory got bit by a dog today. To shock of all, it was the one dog in Mexico that has immunization papers.

I can’t get over how well our kids have done on this trip. They have been amazing. They have done everything we have asked them to do. They have exceeded every expectation. I am so proud to be part of this group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home