Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Cameron Knight's Reflections

Coming into Mexico, changed my perspective on everything. Upon entering the country, my eyes seemed to define the country as an impoverished, dirty, deprived and seemingly neglected land. Of course, at the immediate entry of the country all I had to define it was my vision, which proved to be one of the most irrelevant tools in understanding the people of the country.

Getting to know the people was an entirely different story, and a completely new experience. I had immediately brought upon myself fear that I was going to be viewed as a minority, and not a brother. Which, was completely off target.

In my entire life, I have never felt more accepted or welcomed as I have in these past two or three days of talking to people, who can barely understand me. Every time that I was greeted, there were no bland, Hola’s or any insincere greetings, every time I was greeted, I was greeted as a brother or as a friend, and every single person that I talked to, was more receptive, and more attentive than most people I have talked to in America. God seemed to take away the language barrier, well, at least almost take it away, as the youth group reached out over the mountains surrounding Guaymas inviting them to the clinic for medical attention, and to fellowship with us and the Mexican Church. God spread us over the city, just in the first two days, as we built relationships, and helped people find their way to the clinic for any help that we could provide.

So, I guess that what I have felt over the past couple of days, is that the poverty in Mexico, only grasps material possessions, nobody that I have met has had a sour look on their face, or an ungrateful mannerism at the conditions of their homes. Everyone is so happy to fellowship with one another that the material poverty doesn’t seem to bother them. Indirectly every single person that I have met in Mexico, has touched me, just by their appreciation for what they have. God has sent to me, and I am sure to the rest of the youth group, messengers all over the city Guaymas. I am in the company of Christ. God is everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home